Roman chamomile essential oil has been used as a natural treatment of digestive issues, inflammation, and skin conditions for centuries.
This essential oil is distilled from the flowers and has a sweet, fresh, and apple-like scent. After distillation, the oil ranges in color from brilliant blue to deep green when fresh, and after storage, it turns to dark yellow.
Yet, this does not mean that it loses its powerful medicinal properties. Chamomile contains about 120 secondary metabolites, including 28 terpenoids and 36 flavonoids. This essential oil is mainly constituted from esters of angelic acid and tiglic acid, as well as farnesene and a-pinene, which have potent anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties.
It has powerful antispasmodic, antimicrobial and antioxidant properties, and offers multiple health benefits, including:
- Add this essential oil to a cup of tea treats gastrointestinal conditions and issues like gas, acid reflux, indigestion, diarrhea and nausea.
- Roman chamomile essential oil is rich in flavonoids, which promote heart health, relax the heart, lower blood pressure, and drastically lower the risk of mortality from coronary heart disease.
- The flavonoids in this essential oil penetrate deep into layers of the skin and treat rheumatoid arthritis symptoms.
- Treats congestion and swelling caused by allergies and its topical application treats irritations caused by food allergies.
- Add a few drops of it to your water and tea, or to a warm bath, for relaxation.
- Improves sleep, lowers stress levels, and fights insomnia.
- Anti-inflammatory qualities that treat eczema, gout, poison ivy, and other skin irritations.
- Natural antispasmodic, so it alleviates menstrual cramps and body aches due to PMS. Diffuse the oil at home to improve your mood and soothe PMS symptoms, or add it to a warm bath and soak in it.
Note that in large quantities, this essential oil can cause vomiting. You should also avoid it during pregnancy or while breastfeeding. For external use, dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil like jojoba or coconut oil to prevent irritations.